Home News Latest Wildfire in FVG Shows Signs of Improvement as Recovery Begins

Wildfire in FVG Shows Signs of Improvement as Recovery Begins

0
13
Reading Time: 2 minutes

by InTrieste

Authorities in Friuli Venezia Giulia said Tuesday that a wildfire that has burned for about 10 days in the mountains between Amaro and Tolmezzo was showing signs of improvement, though crews continued to work on two active fronts on Mount Amariana and nearby Mount Amarianute.

Riccardo Riccardi, the regional official responsible for civil protection, said during a visit to the emergency operations base in Amaro that the fire remained active but was increasingly contained within a monitored perimeter.

Rainfall on Monday helped slow the fire, while additional precipitation was forecast for Thursday. Officials said wind conditions would remain an important factor in determining how quickly the emergency could be brought under control.

L’assessore Riccardi durante il sopralluogo

Air quality has also improved. Tolmezzo Mayor Roberto Vicentini lifted an evacuation order for the hamlet of Pissebus after particulate pollution levels returned below the thresholds that had prompted concern in recent days.

More than 700 civil protection volunteers have taken part in the response over the past 10 days, alongside firefighters, forestry personnel, law enforcement officers, local authorities and other emergency workers, Mr. Riccardi said.

Authorities have also begun addressing the psychological effects of the prolonged emergency. In cooperation with the local health service, a psychological support program will open Thursday at the Community Health Center in Tolmezzo. Residents will be able to access the service through their family or community doctor.

Animals that had been evacuated from the affected area were also gradually being returned to their stables, although officials urged residents to proceed cautiously while conditions were still being monitored.

The regional government said it planned to provide financial assistance to farmers and other businesses affected by the fire. Additional funding for damaged forests and local economic activities is expected to be included in the region’s next budget adjustment, Riccardi said, while further support could come through national emergency measures.

The fire has highlighted the growing risk of large wildfires in areas of northern Italy that have historically experienced fewer such events, Riccardi said. He called for coordinated emergency planning and cooperation among authorities rather than criticism of decisions made during the response.

The mayors of Tolmezzo and Amaro, Roberto Vicentini and Cristiana Mainardis, were also present during the inspection, along with Ermes De Crignis, president of the mountain community, and Luigi Cacitti, president of the Carnic Forest Consortium.

Advertisement
Previous articlePop Art and Archaeology Meet at FVG’s Aquileia Museum

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here